Wednesday, July 23, 2008

San Francisco Labor day 2007

This was our first Fly to weekend trip! we stayed in the our property in SANFRAN. Ashleigh was only 7 months pregnant, which if I would have thought about it I would not have planned a walking intensive trip to San Francisco. So I thought that I was being very clever, and I booked the earliest flight out of Salt Lake on Southwest, but I didn't look to see what connections if any we had, so we left at 6:30 am only to have a 3 hr layover in vegas.  But we made the most of it, we went to a Buffet!!
San Fran is a beautiful city!  We did not rent a car, I think you are mental if you rent a car there!  Anyway so we took BART from the airport to Powell st.  Since Ash was Prego I was the designated luggage rack.  The six blocks we walked up hill to the hotel seemed like and eternity.  We had arrived a little early, but the resort staff kindly stored out luggage and away we went.  I have in the past been an avid travel channel watcher and I wanted to eat at the stinking rose.  If you are wondering, its overrated.  


We made it through China town only buying one T-shirt, and it was only a lousy $2. I should have brought some back for my lousy friends. Then it was down to fisherman’s warf. Ash and I have already decided that after walking down to the Warf there was no way we were walking back. One of the best bowls of Chowder that you will ever eat is at the Blue Mermaid, It is a crab chowder served in a sourdough bowl(skip the Pizza, not that good). We took a cab back to the hotel and crashed!
I called up a tour company and set up a San Fran City tour but “Deluxe Motor Coach” e.g. BUS, and a tour of Muir wood, and Sausalito. It was very fun to hear about the city. Muir woods which is an old growth( only a couple THOUSAND years) redwood forest, was amazing, my only regret here is that they only gave us an hour. ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!! Later that night it was back to the Warf to drop some more cash on food, yum yum!
The next day we took what is still my favorite tour, we went to Alcatraz. The have a self guided audio tour narrated by some of the original inmates, its awesome, and the views of the city from the island, incredible!!!
Ok so I almost left out (with good reason) Ash was not happy with me the night of the tour to Alcatraz, there was a lot of walking to get to the pier where it left from, and a lot of walking on the island, and she had had it. The Cable car terminal that would take us back to the hotel was only ½ mile away down at the Warf, and I made her walk instead of getting a cab, or waiting an hour for the streetcar. All in all though it was a great fun trip and I would go back just for the Chowder!

P.S. Ashleigh was an extremely good sport through out the whole trip, I can't believe that she did what she did when she was 7 1/2 months pregnant. She really is a Super Women, super sexy too!!!!

No comments: